What I'm working on:

Various write-ups.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

My Favorite Games: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

An excellent experience that was a highlight of my gaming history





Platform: PC

Released: March 20th 1997

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was one of the first side-scrolling game experiences I had as a child. I got it through the Sonic & Knuckles Collection years ago, and as a fan of Sonic before getting it, I was extremely excited to play.

It didn’t disappoint. 

Colorful, smart, and stylish, Sonic 3 & Knuckles had me completely obsessed for months. I wasn't great at it at first and lost countless lives in the process of improving, but I still enjoyed every moment. The music was amazing, the color palates and visual design are wonderful, I loved the multi-layered level design, and the transitions between zones really added to the sense of progression in the experience.


People who loved this game remember this exact part of this exact stage. Horrible.


I remember the first time I took the alternate path way with Knuckles in Angel Island Zone Act 1 and how in awe it had me. That particular experience was what had me looking everywhere for secrets and was why I collected the Chaos Emeralds for the first time in a Sonic game.

I've been a fan of this franchise for a majority of my life and look forward to the possibility of future games in the series giving me a sense of joy that's comparable to that which Sonic 3 & Knuckles gave me so many years ago. With Sonic Mania of the horizon, I’m thinking that there’s a good chance that it might happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment